Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Flowers and Del


Last year I posted a painting for my neighbor. She wanted another one for the opposite wall. I don't do flowers so it took me longer than I want to say to finish this 30x40 oil on canvas. She's happy with it and that is all that matters right?

She invited me and the kids to a Bar-B-Que when I delivered it this weekend. While there, I noticed one of her guests lounging and texting so I did a quick sketch.

Turns out, Del is 18, just graduated high school and plans to get into Law Enforcement after he finishes college. He was visiting my neighbors with his family and lives in Phoenix. He also has wanted to learn how to draw better.

I asked what his favorite subject was, [thinking to myself it had to be cars, babes or something else young men adore] and he replied "Dragonball Z".

I had to make sure my memory recalled correctly and was proud of myself for not doing a 'spit take'. So I went across the street and printed some Dragonball Z images and had a drawing lesson. Del is quite smart and learned a few pointers quickly and was drawing very well after awhile.

I left him my 6B pencil and special eraser and told him to keep studying hard and to email me if he had any questions regarding drawing or Law Enforcement. It's so encouraging to see young men who really will help to make this world a little better for all of us.

16 comments:

dominique eichi said...

beautiful flowers and nice sketch !

Elizabeth Chapman said...

I guess we are playing tag today! Thanks again for another comment and I want to add that I love your flowers- they have a gesturally abstract quality. You should do more?!!

JudyMackeyart said...

The flowers are gorgeous!!

Judy

Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

My dear Sheila,
People like you and Del makes the world a little better for all of us.
Good to know you.You show all of us the light at the end of ......
Not to mention how talented you are.

Linda O'Neill said...

Well even if you don't do flowers...you did an amazing job on these flowers, Miss Sheila! Nice painting!

Stephen Gardner said...

Del was a lucky guy to run into you.

Unknown said...

Wow Sheila! Your work is looking really great! I couldn't get into your blogsite for WEEKS and finally today I got in, so it's been fun looking at all the wonderful things you've been doing! Hmmm...perhaps I should come over and spend some time working with you!

Edward Burton said...

Beautiful job with the flowers, Sheila, and a very nice sketch.

Art with Liz said...

Lucky neighbour and great sketch!

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

That is a great spontaneous sketch. His reclined pose fills the space perfectly.

artbykarieann said...

Painter and tutor now, what a talented lady you are Sheila, I do like those flowers, they are so bold, a really impressive piece.

Sheila Estep said...

Your painting is beautiful, I love the bold flowers and the reflection of the blue vase. What a great opportunity for Del to meet you and get some tutoring from you. I'm sure he'll remember you taking a interest in him and expanding his artistic side.

Unknown said...

Oh Sheila bravo! I love that big floral and I'm glad you showed it on the wall so the scale is visible. Gorgeous. Hey Judy! you took the words right out of my mouth! I think Judy owes me a glass of wine for that. : )
many hugs....

Tracey Clarke said...

Look how that worked out?! I love ehwn that happens....How cool.
He learned from you, and what did you learn from him?..

Unknown said...

I learned that there are going to be fine young men and women we can hand off this world of ours off to.

Maria Kovalenko Leysens said...

Lovely work! You never know when an opportunity to share is just around the corner. You seem to be turning the right corners because everytime I visit your blog you are sharing. It is contagious.... thanks.