Monday, March 23, 2009

More Pet Shop stuff

I was thinking last night (I know scary thought) about some additional pros about trying to have a working relationship with a local pet supply store for artists who want to earn a little extra money.

1. They love to display your artwork and will sell them for you by setting up and account in your name. She does not charge me rent or what ever a normal gallery or co-op gallery may charge.

2. My store owner was HAPPY that I offered a 10% commission with each painting sold. I was surprised that she was so delighted.
3. The store provides a place where you can have your business cards and brochures available for customers.
4. The store can accept all sorts of payments, deal with the possibility of bad checks and be able to let customers purchase your work on layaway without you having to deal with the book or paperwork.
5. I've mentioned this before, but there is always staff on hand to answer basic questions about pricing and turn around time AND sell your services.
6. Of course the store in turn has something very unique. They have an 'in-store' artist "working exclusively" with that pet store that sets them apart with your regular chain store pet store. It really helps set them apart from the big chain stores and provide their customers with a very special service.
7. Again, the store owner takes care of all the advertising, emails promoting and even includes your work on their website. My store owner even provided cookies and espresso during the Saturday event I was doing "plein air pet painting" as Vern Schwarz eloquently named my experience.

Another item for today, I was awarded the "Passion for Painting" from my dear South African friend 
Elizabeth Pearson! She is a world traveller and has the ability to paint animals practically in her back yard that others like myself can only imagine doing if we were able to afford a safari vacation.

I'm supposed to and am delighted to pass it along. I wish I could pass it on to all my artist pals but here are mine for today. These wonderful folk really have a "Passion for Painting" and are always an inspiration for me:
Vern Schwarz: Vern has a generous heart but he also has the wonderful technique of minimal strokes that I admire and strive for.
Diane Hoeptner: Diane is a talented, prolific and energetic painter. I love her floral and toy subjects and am envious of her beautiful red hair.
R.Garriot A fantastically technically exquisite painter with a wry sense of humor evident within the painting on blog writings. Also I am forever gratefull for the generous teachings on painting and photoshop.
Irit Bourla: Another prolific, energetic and generous artist with a multitude of subject matters and works. Being a wife and holding a full time job and painting on a daily basis is the definition of Passion for Painting.
Judy Mackey: Another passionate painter who has been generous with her experience and tips on navigating this art world.
Dean H.: Deano has wonderful painting techniques that he generously allows me to study with his enlargements of certain areas of interest on his work.
Carol Nelson: Carol is a newer Blogger pal I began following because of her fantastic bird paintings. Lately, she's been blowing me away with her abstract collage work!!!

I'm supposed to list 7 things I love in addition to the artists I'm awarding but I think I just did!

7 comments:

Art with Liz said...

Was just about to tell you about this one Sheila, but you beat me to it. I'm still working on the Art for Animals and hope to have something soon. That blog is another reason why you deserve every accolade you get. LOL

Manon said...

Hey Sheila,
Those are great reasons why to get involved with a local pet store! You're onto something my friend!

L.Holm said...

Congratulations, Sheila! Well deserved award! hugs,
Liz H

Dean H. said...

Hey, Sheila! Thanks for passing the award my way. I am honored.
Promoting your art though pet supply stores is a great approach...I had the same idea about 20 tears ago. After a few tentative inquiries, I dropped it. Should have come across as a little more sure of myself.
Another thing you could check out,if you haven't already, is vet clinics and breeders.

Diane Hoeptner said...

*blushing* thanks a bunch, Sheila!

simoart said...

Hi
Congratulations and I have another award for you at my blog.

r garriott said...

Hi Sheila,

Thanks for thinking of me! I'm always hnored to have your blogship (as in blog friend).