Friday, July 10, 2009

Field Trip






























Benny Alba was kind enough to treat me to a BART ride and entry to SFMOMA's current exhibit of paired works of Georgia O'Keeffe and Ansel Adams. It was very interesting to learn the correlation with the two artists and how some pieces were almost identical in image. While Benny was generous enough to talk about history, technique, composition and why an image worked; I was amazed at the variety of scale of O'Keeffe's work. I had the preconceived idea her blossom paintings were huge but they were only on average 20x30. I also learned my favorite pieces were her landscapes and a tiny 6x8 painting of an adobe church.

I bought a small sketch book at the museum store [because I forgot to bring mine] and was able to draw this very classy but intense lady sitting in front of me on the return trip.

13 comments:

Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

you are so talented and unique.
This sketch is beautiful..So you kept it ha? How come you did not give it to her?

Manon said...

I'm so jealous Sheila! Georgia O'Keeffe is my favorite artist and Ansel Adams my favorite photgrapher!!
When I was in Sante Fe I was in the Georgia O'Keeffe museum..... it was unbelievable. Read "Portrait of an Artist" if you ever get a chance!
Love your sketch!

Natasha said...

I saw this exhibit, and enjoyed it. It must have been amazing to go through it with someone who could share so much insight.

Charlene Brown said...

What a great way to spend a day of your apprenticeship -- discussing what sounds like a wonderfully thought-provoking paired exhibition. Interesting observation about Georgia O'Keeffe too -- I think a lot of us just think 'great big flowers' when we hear her name. Glad you were able to find a sketchbook and complete you story with the lovely sketch of the lady on the train -- you make it look so easy.

Art with Liz said...

This is another reason why I envy you over there - access to paintings by artists like Georgia O'Keeffe! Love the sketch of the lady - you've caught a very sad look to her face.

Gwen Bell said...

Your sketching skills always slay me...wonderful and full of emotion!

Mary Paquet said...

I agree with Charlene, you make sketching people look so easy, a sign of a truly accomplished artist. The exhibit sounds wonderful and I do hope to get up to the city and see it. You are mining many opportunities from your apprenticeship. I would expect nothing less!

Vern Schwarz said...

Great sketch following what sounds like a great day. You are on your way grasshopper. I'm envious of you having such a great mentor. All the best Sheila.

Edward Burton said...

Very nice, Sheila. I'll have to check out that show before it leaves.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Georgia O'Keefe is one of my favorites. I have been to many of her exhibits around the country. Your sketch is wonderful!

Michelle said...

Oh, very fun! Sounds like a perfect day!

carrie jacobson said...

Love the sketch of the woman, and the police sketch. When I was in newspapers, we always ran police sketches. They looked about as much like regular people as if the cops had just drawn stick figures. How lucky your department was to have someone like you, who's smart enough to ask the right questions, get the right info and then have the talent to make a drawing that is so close!

Kathleen Krucoff said...

How cool. I love O'Keeffe's work. We check it out every time we head to Santa Fe.