Sunday, July 19, 2009

Potential

I apologize for the lack of posting last week. With summer and school being out, I want to spend as much time with my kids while I have them.

This is a photo of two larger pieces of canvas stapled to Alba Studio's wall and just gessoed [note the fan drying the one one the right]

The horizontal canvas on the right measures 48x36 and I don't recall the exact size on the left.

I excited to start and yet anxious. Huge canvases have great potential but in my mind so many options. I've run a dozen ideas in my head back and forth and now the inside of my skull is starting to get sore. Benny Alba and I went to the Oakland Museum to look at Squeak Carnwarth's work. I was very impressed and loved those huge canvases she used. I have not decided what I'm going to do yet. Perhaps, I'll go to the studio tomorrow and sketch out some ideas with vine charcoal to see how I feel.

In the meanwhile, I got to paint a cute pygmy goat for my other blog. Check it out by clicking here! Thank you...

11 comments:

Manon said...

Can't wait to see what you do Sheila! Big canvases are sooo exciting!

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Good luck on your new huge canvas, Sheila. What a powerful person you are-always pushing your creative boundaries. <3

Quwwa said...

Should be no problem with an artist like you :0) I would love to see the end results. take care and stay cool!

maddsketch said...

that is so cool! can't wait to see its outcome!

Carol Horzempa said...

After checking Squeak Carnwarth's work that you mentioned, I think you would find her work very inspirational. With a canvas that size I'm sure you will have no problem filling it, Sheila! Good luck and happy painting!

Rolfe Bautista said...

I have been thinking of doing some childrens books. I have some cool ideas and I could illustrate all of them :)

jennifer woodburn said...

Go big Sheila! As someone who has just recently gone that direction, it is simpler than you think - but oh so scary at the same time! The key is to map out your composition ahead of time, and make sure it works. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Dana Cooper said...

Time with your kids is priceless...enjoy it, it goes by fast!

Have fun with the large canvases!!

Tracey Clarke said...

This is reall exciting...I cannot wait to see what you do, Sheila. Fair warning, though, once I worked big it was hard to go back!

Krista Hasson said...

I am sure you will do something Fantastic!!

Elizabeth Chapman said...

The large canvases can be so intimidating, but once you start you'll not one to go back. I really like the way you 've got them taped to the wall. Give Kim sometime, she is really busy and may have just not had time yet. Now, get started on those large canvases!!