Monday, February 2, 2009

Flashback

I've been following, admiring the art of two great artists who have a delightful sense of humor.

Douglas Hoover and Tom Pohlman dared each other to post their college era rock band photos. I was amazed to see this other side of them. So often we have a preconceived view of fine artists in a Queen Anne armchair with a pipe in one hand and a thick leather bound book in the other. These guys were the cool kids on the block!

They always want people to jump into the pool so I dug up a college era photo of me. My friend on the right is now an ICU RN at Stanford Hospital married to a surgeon. Me on the left is trying to look cool in her huge Gloria Steinem glasses and even bigger bell bottom jeans. Sorry guys I never had a picture taken of any of my "disco" outfits.


13 comments:

Douglas Hoover said...

Sheila! I'm so happy that you jumped in! And you do look so cool...Ya know, huge glasses and bell bottoms are in style now. Although it would have been great to see the "disco" look, this is perfect!

Ok, my pipe is almost out and I must get back to the drawing room and attend to my leather bound edition of Rene Descarte's "Discourse on the Method of Rightly Conducting the Reason, and Seeking Truth in the Sciences"... riveting!

artbyakiko said...

Coming from the land of rising sun, I feel no culture shock. Those are good old days with discos and singer song writers.

Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

Love your stories you are such a fun girl.

Anonymous said...

Tooo cute! I love it!

Kim VanDerHoek said...

You both look so pretty! I love your glam glasses, bell bottoms and the matching bell sleeves on your blouse. Fun photo!

Michelle said...

You are too cute! I also like how you hyperlinked Gloria Steinem.

Marian Fortunati said...

Bell bottoms were the best, weren't they??? Of course I don't know about you but I was a BUNCH slimmer then so now the bells would probably look pretty dumpy!
What a fun blog and post!!

artbyakiko said...

Hi Sheila! You are given an Art Blog Award. Come get it.:)

Linda said...

Hi Sheila, I've tagged you, come over and pickup(copy/Paste picture) Your Art Blog Award, and join in if you want to , youll see how in the blog post. Lindax

Linda O'Neill said...

Hi Shiela...thanks for stopping by my blog. Really nice to meet you! Ahhh...I miss San Francisco! My husband and I both grew up in Marin.

Love those Gloria glasses your wearing...you be stylin'!

Archie and Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Archie and Melissa said...

hi sheila!
what a great post!
what great memories. thank you for sharing them!
xo
melissa

James Parker said...

What? No disco outfit? Neat pics, Sheila. I'd drag out some of my old pics, too, but they've fossilized.