Thursday, February 5, 2009

More on Forensic Reconstruction

Some of you were interested in the reconstruction I posted last month. Click here if you missed it.

Some of you wanted more information on the process. Here's one sheet that is used in determining the skin thickness to measure marker for placement on the skull.

For drawings, we place them on the skull and then work off a "to scale" photo to render a 2 dimension drawing. For clay, you work directly on the skull or a casting of the skull.

I've done both and I prefer the former because clay rendering are manikin-like and I don't like the fact agencies have the person's skull displayed at a press conference. A drawing naturally has the viewer fill in the blanks when identifying someone just like a composite. That is why the computer generated composites have never been as successful as the hand drawn ones. More on that if you're interested.

What's a little funny on this sheet that was handed out during my class at the FBI academy was the instructor felt the need to show the cops and other students the difference between a millimeter and a centimeter when measuring and cutting the markers. Oh, and the markers we cut and glued to the skull? Not a fancy government or forensic material...just the long white Pentel erasers. Easy to cut, glue and take off after the process.

6 comments:

Dean H. said...

Really fascinating how that's done...and with such remarkable success.
Hey Sheila, I am giving you an Art Blog Award cut & paste from mine. You deserve it. If you choose to, list 7 things you love and then list 7 fellow bloggers. Then notify the 7 that they have received awards.

artbyakiko said...

Very interesting! I used to watch a TV series about cold cases that involve forensic science. I was always fascinated about it.

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

This seems very technical Sheila. I am impressed with all you did. When you were at the FBI academy, was that the one in Quantico Virginia. I don't live too far from there.

Unknown said...

Yes Stephen! It was in February and they warned up Californians that it might be cold. I was roomed with Detective from Arlington, Texas. The Academy has a bunch of plexiglass tunnels from building to building after being there I knew what hamster must feel like.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

I have always found forensic reconstruction fascinating!

Marian Fortunati said...

Hi Sheila..
As usual .. a fascinating post.

I'm sending you the "I love your ART BLOG" award. You can pick it up on my site.