Friday, April 10, 2009

I'm home!

a plant in the room I stayed overnight on my partner's ranch. Micron on paper  



Oh my goodness, I'm surprised I'm not as exhausted as I feel I should be. 

For the past six days, I got up no later than 6 got on the road and after driving for no shorter than 10 hours, dropped the prisoner off at a jail and then checked into a hotel room no earlier than 8pm.  Today, up at 6, dropped off our last "passenger" and then drove to from Elko, Nevada to Dayton, NV, then to Patterson, Calif to my partner's home and then an hour home drive to get back a little before 11pm.  

Thank you for the well wishes everyone!  All prisoners ended up thanking us and telling us we were the best transport they've ever had (even though they were both going to jails or in one case a Federal Prison).   

I miss my kids ( I have to wait until Saturday though because the ex is taking them to Tahoe in the morning), my pets, my bed and all my blog buddies!  Oh, and I am surprised as to how much I miss my art!  I can hardly wait to wake up tomorrow and start painting.  For now, here are a few of the quick sketches I was able to work on.  (Difficult when you're driving 12 plus hours a day)  We went to several states I've never been, Colorado, Kansas, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.  I had been to Oklahoma and Nevada before. 

 Again, it's good to be home and I'm glad to be able to reconnect with my friends.  Super Cyber HUG~

The motel's washer with my uniform inside mid-trip....my entertainment for the night.  ballpoint pen
Newly incoming women waiting for the medical screening.  Althought it was only 8pm, sleeping is a common way to cope with stress in this environment.  These were not our transport prisoners. This jail had a very loose environment.  No one was handcuffed to the bar as you can see, the males were located on the other side of that half wall, the adjoining room had holding cells with a couple of doors open so the prisoner could just walk out if he wanted.   Very different form the four other facilities we went to.
ball point pen on copy paper I asked for from the intake secretary.



27 comments:

Dave King said...

Delightful drawings. Thanks for bringing us up to speed.

L.Holm said...

Yea!! You're back!!! Missed your shining presence here in blogland! What a whirlwind trip, and a unique life you lead, Sheila! Glad to hear you're home safe and sound, and back to painting. Only you could make a trip to jail enjoyable for the prisoners! Your sketches are terrific. Welcome home! big hugs. liz

artbyakiko said...

Sheila, I'm glad to know that you are back okay. Was a little worried, because what you did is unthinkable for me. Cool drawings!! Hugs, Akiko :)

Stephen Dell'Aria said...

These sketches really convey the temporal nature of your recent adventure. Excellent!!!

Manon said...

Welcome back Sheila!
Thanks for sharing your drawings with us! Very cool! I'm glad things went well!

David Larson Evans said...

As always thanks for sharing.

Stephen Gardner said...

Welcome back, you have such an interesting life, I don't know anyone like you. You are an inspiration.

Paintings by Irit Bourla said...

We missed you, I missed you.
Happy thatyou are back home safe and ready.
I love your sketches and stories.
Big hug and one more, Irit

Art with Liz said...

Welcome home Sheila - you must be exhausted! Great little drawings to go with a very interesting account of what you're doing. LOL

The Bull said...

Welcome home, what a long adventure you were on!

Michelle said...

Oh how I missed you! So glad to hear everything went well! Great sketches from your travels. Sounds like you need a rest! Big Hugs!

Sandy Sandy Art said...

Sheila - Missed your upbeat posts and comments, girl. Love your sketches. "If you get into the habit of sketching, you'll never be bored!" Welcome Back!! Hugs, Sandy

Lauren Maurer said...

Yay! Welcome back! It's hard to believe that you are such a postive and sweet lady after all that you have seen!Have fun getting back to painting!

Tom Pohlman said...

Welcome home Sheila! I am drained just thinking about your journey! Im with others- and marvel at your resilient constitution- you are soo sweet- it's hard to think about one of the best being exposed to some of the worst! Im glad you were able to find opportunities to draw- "The most beautiful flower is the one that blooms in the face of adversity" :>)

Vern Schwarz said...

Sheila, good to see you back, the kids all missed you...ha! Some real nice sketches and a job well done... not a bad week. Getting back to painting is going to be that much sweeter.

r garriott said...

Welcome back!!! Great sketches that bought back some unexpected memories... (my mom used to volunteer at the youth detention center in Albuquerque and I would go with her...also my dad lived in Elko at one time....small world)!
Can't wait to see what you do next with all your pent up art energy!

dominique eichi said...

Welcome back Sheila. Your sketches are wonderful for they show us how our world is. Your are our blessing.
Now go have fun and relax a bit.

Gwen Bell said...

So glad you're back! You always light up the Blogosphere with your sweet personality and positive attitude.
Very nice sketches! Don't know how you found the energy. You are such an amazing, interesting person...can't imagine having your job and still juggling all the hats you wear.

Linda said...

You are a real fantastic lady, so glad youre home safe, and love the cool sketch works. Lindax

Unknown said...

Glad to see your safe and well;o)

Sheila Wedegis said...

Sheila..so glad you are home safe and sound!! Love the drawings!!
Sheila

jennifer woodburn said...

Good to have you back. Sounds like the trip was a success. Great sketches - have fun painting tomorrow!

Edward Burton said...

Welcome back, Sheila! Great sketches!

Dominic Philibert said...

Thanx Sheila!!!!!!!
Nice drawings!!!!!!!!!!

adebanji said...

Great sketches!

You are a hardworking mum!

Great to hear all you achieved in a week, kudos!

Dean Grey said...

All the prisoners thanked you? Well, at least they're polite! LOL

I love, love, love quick sketches especially from other artists. More please!

Glad to hear you got back safely, Sheila!

-Dean

Carol Horzempa said...

Sheila, I'm so glad you're back safe and sound. You are such an inspiration. You seem to always find joy in what ever life hands you.

Thanks for sharing your experience and drawings of your 6 day adventure.