Sunday, February 20, 2011

Carlye and CASA

Another generous Facebook friend allowed me to use one of her photos as inspiration for a painting. This is Carlye. She was photographed at a pageant she was participating in. I was struck by her contemplative mood. Quite a contrast to the Crest White Strip smiles that are the norm for occasions like this.

This is 24x15 oil on gallery wrapped canvas














I attended the SF School of Law Equal Justice Art Show benefiting SF CASA. I didn't know this chapter of the great voluntary organization is the largest in California, dealing with over 1,200 children in Foster Care. I met with a director from SF CASA and told her I would love to donate my painting to their organization. She was glad to accept and said she plans to hang it in their training room along with my story to help inspire the new CASAs.

That made me feel better than winning first place at the show.

11 comments:

Anthony Duce said...

Like both the paintings and the generosity expressed.

Sheila Estep said...

Love the paintings Sheila, and big hug and love for people like you who are making this world a better place to live!

Nicki said...

I agree with you that the contemplative mood in the portrait is a nice contrast to the glitz and glamour of the event.

What a wonderfully generous offer- I'm sure your painting will spur on many interesting conversations in the CASA training room.

Autumn Leaves said...

Gorgeous portrait and her hair is stunning, Sheila. I love that one of your pieces will go to benefit a worthwhile organization. So rewarding!

Mary Anne Cary said...

Love the portrait, you truly captured a moment. Great colors, too. Congrats on the show!!

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

Aside from the fabulous painting, the spirit of generosity and compassion that went along with your donation is priceless. Good for you. Paying it forward, I see....

Edward Burton said...

Great portrait, Sheila, and such a wonderful gesture to donate your painting.

Art with Liz said...

What an absolutely stunning painting Sheila. You've captured that contemplative moment perfectly.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

That's a beautiful painting, Sheila and a generous sentiment.

suzanneberry said...

your portrait is gorgeous! i love everything about it. the placement on the canvas and her mood are captured perfectly! and your generosity is inspiring!

Ann Gorbett said...

Congratulations all around-for your award winning painting, for your generosity, and for you sharing the story with us.