Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Who will speak for me?

12x36" oil on canvas

I was invited to submit and just learned I was accepted to the 7th annual Creative Justice Art Show at the University of San Francisco's School of Law. This year's theme is "Fostering Dreams of Equality" which will support San Francisco's branch of CASA [Court Appointed Special Advocates] CASAs are assigned to foster children and become their voice in the court where the judge must decide where the child's best interest lies, either in foster care or to return to the situation from which he or she was rescued. My painting is based on the eyes of the many children I had seen and dealt with in my past career. Though these children would be in horrendous conditions resulting in a police response, they almost never cried or spoke. It was as if they were afraid to ask for anything for themselves. This painting is dedicated to the law enforcement officers, social workers, CASA and attorneys who become their voice.

For new followers, read about a very personal encounter with some sweet girls I had to place in foster care because of their home situation HERE.

19 comments:

Suzanne said...

that's a powerful painting sheila...

Autumn Leaves said...

I know those eyes, Sheila. A beautiful piece and congratulations on your acceptance into this wonderful show. I'm off to read of the girls...

Olga said...

Sheila...This painting is very moving...Great work!

Dana Cooper said...

Congratulations Sheila, this is a very moving and beautiful piece.

Pam Holnback said...

Congratulations! When I taught, I had CASA workers come to my classroom to see their kids. So interesting, but so sad.

-Don said...

This is hauntingly beautiful, Sheila! Congratulations on your acceptance into the show. I'm sure this piece will stop a lot of people in their tracks. Thank you for being there as much as you could for these children.

-Don

Gwen Bell said...

So moving. Tons of emotion and pain in those big beautiful eyes!

Ellen Burkett said...

Very touching Sheila. Just perfect for this show. Love the title too.

Linda Popple said...

Congratulations on begin accepted in the show! It's an emotional piece .... well done!

Ann Gorbett said...

Wow- I can only imagine how powerful and moving this piece must be in person because it is so captivating at this size on your blog. And your words make even more so.

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

Stunning work, Sheila. I can tell this was very meaningful to you.

In Florida, the CASA program is called Guardian ad Litem's. My husband and I worked as volunteers for 8 years, representing these kids in court and making sure that what the judge heard from parents and others was an accurate picture. It is a worthy and rewarding program that is always under funded and looking for volunteers and there is a program in every state.

Barbara Pask said...

It is a very moving painting, really makes you stop and study it.

David Larson Evans said...

I am quite impressed...you go girl.

Art with Liz said...

Well done on your acceptance dear Sheila and this piece is awesome! I also loved going back and seeing the Vespa. the Brownie and all that memorabilia that I missed. Wonderful.

L.Holm said...

beautifully done. Congratulations on being included in the show. sounds like it has very special meaning after your work on the police force. can only imagine how heartbreaking some of these situations must be to witness. your painting says it all.

Krista Hasson said...

Very moving!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the show Sheila, this is a very powerful piece, nicely dedicated.

Edward Burton said...

Congratulations, Sheila!

Linda O'Neill said...

Hi Sheila...awesome painting, it really captures strong emotion. Nice work!