Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pouty Pastel Portrait

I believe this is the first pastel portrait I completed in a small room with a stone sculptor for my subject. I met him during the summer and he brought some conte' and pastels along to finish a project. He let me use his materials so I could experiment with the medium. The paper is a little crinkled because I had to roll it up and carry it on the plane.

He is a very interesting person. A tile layer by trade from the age of 14 he joined the Army at 17. He was an M.P. for a time stationed in Panama. They had to make an exception for him because he was too short (5'7) for the special assignment for the Military Police. After leaving the Army he put himself through college and obtained a degree in Fine Art. He is technically proficient in painting and pastel but large stone sculptures that he grinds, drills and sands are his passion. Very strong to be able to handle several tons of granite and stone. He got the tribal tattoos to cover some older tattoos.

4 comments:

Art with Liz said...

This is a great protrait. So moody, and as you say, pouty.

Stephen Gardner said...

I really like what you are doing, this is a very accomplished piece of work, what a character

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

You seemed to really capture the personality of this man. I guess that was important in your job too. You have had a fasinating life. Wow!

Thanks for all the kind comments on my blog. I look forward to following yours.

Art By Erika said...

Good for you for seizing the moment. You have a great eye for people and personality and details of course!